Start of rebuilding of the railroad; wooden rails replaced with iron "edge
Incorporation of the Somerville and Easton RR to build a railroad from
Somerville to the Delaware River opposite Easton, PA.
The S&E was constructed from Somerville to White House Road and was leased
to the "E&S of '46."
The "E&S of '46" was sold to the S&E and name was changed to The Central RR
of NJ (CNJ)
CNJ extension from Whitehouse to the Delaware River was begun under James
Laurie, Chief Engineer, a founder and first president of the American
Society of Civil Engineers
The High Bridge over the South Branch, Raritan River (1,300 feet long, 100
feet high) and bridges over the Musconetcong, Pohatcong, and Lopatcong
Opening of the CNJ (became known as the Jersey Central), to Phillipsburg.
City of Elizabeth ordinance prohibited any train speeds "greater than 8
miles per hour"
An agreement was reached with the Delaware, Lackawanna, & Western RR (DL&W)
for transport of its passenger and freight trains from Hampton to the Elizabethport waterfront. The DL&W broad gauge required the CNJ to install a
third rail between the two points.
The CNJ was extended from Phillipsburg over the newly completed Lehigh
Valley (LV) RR bridge across the Delaware River. LV passengers were
transferred to and from the Jersey Central at South Easton.
1855 An agreement to move coal to tidewater similar to that with the DL&W RR
was established with the LV.
The first NJ state tax on railroads was imposed, costing the CNJ $13,268.69
in the first year.
A through line was completed between Elizabethport, Williamsport, PA, and
Elmira, NY via the CNJ, LV, Beaver Meadow, and Catawissa Railroads.
Through passenger service was established between New York (via ferry
connection to Elizabethport) and Pittsburgh via CNJ, LV, East Pennsylvania &
Pennsylvania Central Railroads.
Excursions to the Coal Fields of PA were offered from NY via ferry to
Elizabethport, by rail to Hampton Junction, the Delaware Water Gap, over
Pocono Mountain, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Mauch Chunk and return. Side trips
over the Switchback Gravity RR to the top of Mount Pisgah were available.
Through passenger cars were run from Somerville to Elizabethtown and then
over the New Jersey Rail Road (later the Pennsylvania Railroad) to Jersey
The New Jersey legislature granted permission to the CNJ to extend its line
over Newark Bay to the Hudson River at Jersey City and construction began.
During the Civil War the government called upon the railroads to carry troops
between New York and Washington via the CNJ, LV, East Pennsylvania, Northern
Central, and Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroads.
The Jersey Central had more double-track railroad then any other NJ RR
The first federal tax was imposed on
railroads to help pay for the Civil War.
The CNJ advertised as the shortest route to Chicago and the west (898 miles
- in 36 hours, via connecting railroads)
The CNJ bridge over Newark Bay and extension of line from Elizabethport to
Communipaw (Jersey City) was opened for passenger traffic. Communipaw ferry
connection to New York was re-established for steam operation with the
ferryboats "Central" and "Communipaw".
Jersey Central's president was authorized to purchase enough land to
increase its main line right-of-way width from 66 to 100 feet.
CNJ began operating sleeping cars between Jersey City and points west of the
Delaware River, first in NJ in regular service.
The original wood trestle at High Bridge was replaced by a fill costing
A third track was completed between Dunellen and Bound Brook. The last
segment of single track on the main line, between Bloomsbury and Springtown,
was double tracked. And a map was filed for a new rail alignment between
Westfield and Plainfield.
The LV merged the Lehigh & Mahanoy RR into its system providing, in
conjunction with the CNJ, "the shortest and best route from Lake Erie to NY."
Directors decide to operate the Jersey Central on Sundays. In protest,
director William E. Dodge sold his stock and resigned.
A track connection was made with the Lehigh & Susquehanna (L&S) RR at
Easton, making a through route to Wilkes-Barre, PA. The L&S became a
principal supplier of coal to the CNJ.
The Jersey Central became the first railroad in America to introduce
uniforms for employees. The uniforms consisted of a blue coat, pants, vest, cap with "CRR"
and gilt buttons.
North track of new line through Plainfield was finished and opened to
Main line tracks were re-laid with steel rails replacing the former iron.
By this year through sleeping car service was established in cooperation
with the LV to the west.
The Jersey Central leased the L&S RR from the Lehigh Coal and Navigation
Company, giving the CNJ a continuous line from New York to Wilkes-Barre.
CNJ stockholders voted to dissolve the merger with the DL&W made only six
The Perth Amboy and Elizabethport RR was merged into the Jersey Central,
completed by it, and became the Perth Amboy RR.
The Reading, in concert with the CNJ, LV,
DL&W, and Delaware & Hudson Railroads established the first American cartel
in an attempt to fix the price of anthracite shipment and to limit volumes.
The new branch (which became known as the Perth Amboy Branch) from
Elizabethport to a junction with the New York & Long Branch RR was opened.
The new line of railroad from Westfield, through Fanwood to Plainfield,
eliminating grade crossings, was opened; the original rail line through
Scotch Plains was abandoned.
Broad gauge DL&W operations over the CNJ between Hampton and Elizabethport
ended and the third rail was removed.
The LV completed its own rail route, the Easton & Amboy RR, across NJ to
Perth Amboy so LV didn't have to depend on the Jersey Central.
In cooperation with the Philadelphia and Reading RR (Reading), trains begin
operating between Jersey City and Philadelphia via Bound Brook.
The Jersey Central enters receivership.
CNJ locomotive #507 set a world speed record, running the 89.4 miles between
Jersey City and Philadelphia in 98 minutes.
The CNJ absorbed the Ogden Mine RR and captured iron traffic from the Morris
The CNJ leased all of its railroads to the Reading. Shortly after that the
Reading itself became insolvent.
Four tracks were completed between Cranford and Westfield; three between
Fanwood and Westfield.
New Jersey imposed additional taxes on railroads, costing the CNJ $200,000
The Statue of Liberty was unveiled. The statue later became the basis of the
logo for the Jersey Central.
The B&O RR began service between Washington, DC and Jersey City using
the Reading into NJ and the CNJ east of Bound Brook.
The Lehigh Coal & Navigation Company forced the Jersey Central to retake
possession of the L&S RR
The CNJ broke its lease with the Reading and became independent.
Through coal trains between Pennsylvania and Elizabethport or Jersey City
CNJ began using Woodruff Parlor Cars on trains.
A CNJ promotion to get more customers in their suburban territory by
advertising and reducing fares resulted in an increase of 796,814 riders
The LV completed a new main line from South Plainfield to Roselle. LV
freight trains then used the CNJ from Roselle to LV docks at the Big Morris
Canal Basin in Jersey City. LV passenger trains continued to use the PRR
Exchange Place Terminal in Jersey City via Metuchen.
The current CNJ terminal in Jersey City was opened and the four track main
line was completed to Bound Brook. During the peak years 40,000 passengers
used the facility daily.
The LV completed its own RR between Roselle and Jersey City withdrawing
from the CNJ.
The CNJ purchased land at Nolan's Point on Lake Hopatcong and laid out
excursion ground, complete with dancing pavilion, swings, walking paths, and
boats for rent. The Jersey Central then provided the finest short Sunday
excursions to the lake. As many as 60,000 people took the trips every summer
in the early 1900's. Accommodations were available at Nolan's Point Villa
and the more expensive Hotel Breslin. The round trip could be had from
Jersey City and intermediate points for $1 and a hot noon meal for 50 cents.
Royal Blue Line trains, a cooperative arrangement between the CNJ, Reading,
and B&O Railroads inaugurate service between Jersey City and Washington.
From this year through 1915, 9,000,000 of the 12,000,000 immigrants who passed
through Ellis Island reached the US interior via the CNJ.
A Jersey Central locomotive was clocked on the Reading west of Bound Brook
at 91.7 miles per hour.
CNJ locomotive #385 set a world speed record of 105 miles per hour between
Plainfield and Westfield.
The CNJ is leased to the Port Reading RR, a subsidiary of the
The world's first motor operated signal was installed on the Jersey Central
The restored, historic Camden & Amboy RR "John Bull", the first steam
locomotive to operate in NJ travels under its own power on the PRR main line
over the CNJ main line in Elizabeth enroute to the World's Colombian
Exposition in Chicago.
The second big California gold rush induced the B&O to begin the first
transcontinental passenger trains from Jersey City to San Francisco without
change of cars.
The CNJ built a new locomotive shop at Elizabethport. The 160 acre site
employed more than 600 workers and had a total of 600,000 square feet of
buildings. Facilities included : Machine Erecting and Boiler Shop; Freight
Car Repair Shop; Blacksmith Shop; Passenger Car Repair Shop; Automotive
Repair Shop; Air Brake Repair Shop; Passenger Car Paint Shop; Upholstery and
Dye Shop; Locomotive Blacksmith Shop; Planing Mill; Boiler Shop; Flue Shop;
Power House; and Storehouses.
Automatic electric block signals were installed between Bound Brook and
White Haven, PA.
The Jersey Central inaugurated the "Queen of the Valley" express passenger
train between Jersey City and Harrisburg, PA.
The Liberty Bell traveled via a special train on the PRR main line over the
CNJ main line at Elizabeth enroute to Boston for the celebration of the
128th anniversary of the Battle of Bunker Hill.
Public Service (PS) RR commenced through interurban trolley service from
Jersey City to Trenton via Newark, Elizabeth, Plainfield, Bound Brook, and
New Brunswick. The segment between Elizabeth and Bound Brook was originally
known as the Main Line and was later identified as the #49 Union Line. The
PS Main Line roughly paralleled the CNJ Main Line and crossed under it at
Elizabeth, Westfield, Plainfield, Dunellen, and Bound Brook.
A sixth track was installed between Cranford and Westfield.
A speed record between Jersey City and Washington of 226 miles in 4 hours
and 7 minutes, including stops for locomotive changes and stations, was set
during a heavy snow storm.
Several additions were constructed to the Elizabethport freight car repair
shop complex, including a 179' x 600' building for freight car repairs, by
the John W. Ferguson Co. and Phoenix Iron Co.
LV passenger trains began using the Jersey Central from Oak Island Junction
to Communipaw and the CNJ Jersey City Terminal.
An explosion at Black Tom, south of the CNJ Jersey City Terminal, involved
scores of carloads of ammunition delivered by the Jersey Central and LV.
1917 The US Government took over all railroads for the duration of World War
The Westfield grade crossing elimination project was completed.
Through passenger trains of the B&O and LV Railroads were shifted from
Jersey Central's Jersey City Terminal to Pennsylvania Station in New York
City by the United States RR Administration. B&O freight trains continued
using the CNJ. LV commuter trains were routed to the PRR Exchange Place
Government operation of railroads ends.
"The Mermaid" passenger train was inaugurated to carry summer vacationers
from Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Mauch Chunk, Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton
to the Jersey Shore via Elizabethport.
B&O passenger trains were forced to return to Jersey Central's Jersey City
Terminal by the PRR; those of the LV
did not. The B&O commenced providing free bus connections for its patrons
between points in New York City and trainside at Jersey City.
The new draw bridge over the Newark Bay was opened for service.
Beginning in this year the sprawling Mack Truck Co. plant adjacent to the
CNJ main line in Plainfield manufactured small railroad switching
locomotives. The last unit was sold in 1937.
Special trains were operated under contract to the American Zeppelin
Transport Co. to carry zeppelin passengers and mail between Lakehurst and
NYC. The CNJ also operated special trains for sightseers to each arriving
and departing zeppelin.
The "Blue Comet" train, with fine quality dining service, was established
between Jersey City and Atlantic City via Elizabethport and Winslow
The "Bullet" passenger train was established between Wilkes-Barre and Jersey
City by the CNJ.
The "Williamsporter" was established between Williamsport, PA and Jersey
City. Railway Post Office service was begun on that train.
The Cranford grade crossing elimination project was completed.
The B&O introduced the world's first completely air-conditioned passenger
train, the "Columbian", between Jersey City and Washington.
The B&O inaugurated "Rail-Air Passenger Service" between Jersey City and Los
A major grade crossing elimination project in the Elizabeth - Elizabethport
area was ordered by the NJ Public Utilities Commission.
The Reading assumed control of the CNJ under Interstate Commerce Commission
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt traveled between the White House and his
home in Hyde Park, NY by rail, frequently using the CNJ-Reading-B&O Route.
Buck Benny Rides Again was the code name used to indicate that
Roosevelt was on the train.
The B&O introduced its new streamlined "Royal Blue" train employing the
first streamlined diesel-electric locomotives in long distance service.
Trolleys on the PS #49 Union Line are replaced by the hybrid
gasoline/electric All-Service Vehicle. The more than 400 new trolley busses
were transported to NJ on flat cars over the CNJ Main Line.
The Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy RR's new "Denver Zephyr" streamliner
traveled over the CNJ main line enroute from Budd in Philadelphia to the
CB&Q in Chicago.
The Reading began "Crusader" service with a new stainless steel streamlined
train between Philadelphia and Jersey City via Bound Brook.
The largest CNJ excursion moved 17,374 passengers between Bayonne and Asbury
Park on 19 trains of 12 cars each.
The CNJ operated a special train from Raritan to California and Washington
state for the Civilian Conservation Corps volunteer workers. It consisted of
8 Pullman Cars and 4 baggage cars (two of the latter were converted to
Billions of dollars of gold reserves was moved from NYC vaults to a new gold
vault at Fort Knox. The shipments continued for two years and were
alternated between the CNJ and the PRR so as not to establish a pattern. The
CNJ movements were on armored vehicles from NYC via their ferryboats to
Jersey City Terminal where they were transferred to trains via the CNJ main
line for the first part of its journey.
With the destruction of the zeppelin Hindenberg at Lakehurst, the special
CNJ connecting trains ceased.
The Railroad Enthusiasts, Railway & Locomotive Historical Society, and
Railroad Magazine sponsored an advertised trip over the B&O from Jersey
City, Elizabeth, and Plainfield to Harper's Ferry, VA. A stop was scheduled
at Brunswick, MD for inspection of the yard and engines there. The
locomotive George H. Emerson was expected to pull the train on the
same day round trip. Fare was to be $4.50
North Jersey Chapter National Railway Historical Society (NRHS) announced an
"Extraordinary Excursion" over the Jersey Central from Jersey City to
Brideton, Bivalve, Lakehurst, Tuckerton (former Tuckerton RR) and the
Raritan River RR to New Brunswick and return. Blue Comet equipment,
including diner was used and a sightseeing gondola was to be attached to the
train. Fare was to be about $2.50 The Jersey Central was to handle all the
reservations! The trip, was apparently too good to be true, as it was
rescheduled to the spring of the following year with several changes.
Through sleeping car service between Jersey City and New Orleans began.
Principally because of heavy New Jersey taxes, Jersey Central filed a
petition for reorganization under federal bankruptcy statues.
North Jersey Chapter NRHS arranged an "Excursion" over the CNJ from Jersey
City to Bridgeton (including a stop at the roundhouse), Bivalve, Lakehurst,
and Tuckerton and return. Blue Comet equipment, including a diner (service
85 cent lunch and $1 dinner) was used. The fare was $4.25
Railroad Enthusiasts advertised a three day railfan journey via the B&O from
Jersey City, Elizabeth, and Plainfield to N&W's great shops at Roanoke, VA
with stops at Silver Spring and Luray Caverns. Round trip fare from NY was
$13.60 with air-conditioned hotel $2 per night and breakfast 50 cents.
Last run of the CNJ "Blue Comet"
The US office of Defense Transportation ordered the CNJ to discontinue 68 of
338 weekday suburban passenger trains due to shortages caused by World War
Large volumes of petroleum products were handled over the CNJ from points
west to the world's largest tank car yard which was opened at Tremley. This
was necessary because German submarines were sinking many ships transporting
oil from the Gulf of Mexico to the east coast.
CNJ moved 450 carloads of machinery/material for the manufacture of the atom
bomb over the main line.
The war-torn aircraft carrier USS Franklin was cut up for scrap which was
moved to Bethlehem steel mills and some salvaged parts were shipped to
Seattle to repair the USS Bunker Hill, all via the CNJ
Jersey Central transformed its Pennsylvania properties into the Central RR
Co. of PA to stop the State of New Jersey from confiscating the PA earnings
of the CNJ under the guise of taxes.
The first CNJ grade crossing to get automatic electric gates was Flemington
Road, White House.
PS substituted buses for the All-Service Vehicles on the #49 Union Line and
overhead trolley wires are removed.
First run of the CNJ-Reading "Wall Street" between Jersey City and
The first practical demonstration of television aboard a moving train was on
B&O's "Marylander" between Washington and Jersey City.
All steam locomotive helper service between Raritan - Hampton - Phillipsburg
ended due to deiselization, saving the CNJ $385,000 annually.
The ICC approved a plan of reorganization for The Central RR Company of New
The CNJ "Philadelphia Flyer" and "Scranton Flyer" trains were discontinued.
CNJ dining car service between Jersey City and Allentown ended; only dining
car service between Jersey City and Philadelphia remained.
CNJ canceled all passenger service west of Allentown.
North Jersey Chapter NRHS sponsored a Gala Spring Trip to Green Pond
Junction covering the Wharton & Northern, Mount Hope Mineral RR, and the
High Bridge Branch from Jersey City, Elizabethport, Elizabeth, and
Plainfield. The eight-car train with 497 passengers was pulled by CNJ
Pacific locomotive #810.
Railroad Enthusiasts and the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society sponsored a
Scenic Tour of the Reading Catawissa Branch from Jersey City, Elizabeth, and
Plainfield with a stop at Cranford to view the roundhouse (still standing)
and steam locomotives. Two B&O dining cars were included in the consist.
All road freight trains were dieselized
Last regularly scheduled CNJ steam powered passenger service, Jersey City to
North Jersey Chapter NRHS sponsored a Farewell Rail Camera Tour using the
last operating camelback in America, CNJ #774, from Jersey City via
Elizabethport to Freehold, Bay Head Junction, and Atlantic Highlands. Adult
fare for the day was $4.50!
Electric Railroaders Association sponsored a trip on the Wharton & Northern
and High Bridge Branches using CNJ #774, from Jersey City and Elizabethport.
Railroad Enthusiasts sponsored a steam trip using CNJ #774 from Jersey City,
Elizabeth and Plainfield to Jim Thorpe with B&O Dining Car Service.
Dunellen track elevation was completed.
All B&O passenger service to Jersey City ended.
Two locomotives and three coaches of train #3314 passed red signals and
deraild going off the end of the open Newark Bay Drawbridge, killing 44
passengers and four crew members and injuring 50.
The North Jersey Chapter NRHS and the Railroad Enthusiasts sponsored a Rail
Camera Inspection Tour to the Reading, PA shops from Jersey City,
Elizabethport and Plainfield.
A crewless, runaway diesel locomotive, #1706, departed the Jersey City
Terminal moving west. At Elizabethport it was shunted south toward Perth
Amboy. The engine roared out of control at speeds averaging 40 miles per
hour for 36 minutes until it was finally "caught" by another locomotive
which got up to speed ahead of the runaway and stopped it. The throttle of
the "ghost locomotive" was found wide open...
The Trolley Museum of New York sponsored a Rail Diesel Car (RDC) trip from
Jersey City, Elizabethport, and Plainfield to Rockaway and return.
First state subsidy for commuter trains to CNJ
Railroad Enthusiasts operated a Rail-Camera Excursion from Jersey City to
Green Pond Junction and return using RDC's.
TOFC (Trailer on Flat Car) service began over CNJ, Reading, and B&O route.
Service with RDC's inaugurated between New York and Allentown. Discontinued
Second day freight service was inaugurated between Jersey City and Chicago
End of US Post Office mail service on the CNJ
Centralized Traffic Control was installed on 13 miles between Hampton and
CNJ began push-pull passenger train service
Steamtown, USA and High Iron Co. sponsored a Steam Safari using CPR #1278
from Jersey City, Elizabeth and Plainfield to Jim Thorpe and return
Passenger service between Jersey City and Allentown was discontinued; cut
back to Hampton.
Service to Jersey City was rerouted to Newark Penn Station via the LV route with a new connection provided
at Aldene. CNJ ferry service ended and Jersey City Terminal was closed.
Jersey Central filed for final bankruptcy
The High Iron Co. operated a Safari #2 from Elizabethport to Bridgeton and
return using CPR steam locomotive #1286. Safari #4 operated from Elizabeth,
Plainfield, and High Bridge to Green Pond Jct. and return using CPR #1286
and #1238. Safari #5 operated from Elizabeth to Jim Thorpe and return with
A steam excursion using CPR steam locomotive #127 was operated to Jim Thorpe
on February 25th.
High Iron Co. operated a double headed (CPR locomotives 1286 & 1238) steam
excursion from Newark Penn Station via Plainfield to Wilkes-Barre and
High Iron Co. Iron Horse Ramble ran with NKP #759 from Elizabeth &
Plainfield to the Palmerton, PA festival and return.
First locomotives purchased by New Jersey Department of Transportation, EMD
GP40Ps, start arriving on CNJ.
CNJ became part of the first "land bridge" rail route between west and east
coasts, which by-passed the Panama Canal saving 10-20 days on Asia-Europe
High Iron Co. operated a steam excursion with NKP #759 from Jersey City to
CNJ operations in PA were terminated.
New run-through service was inaugurated between Jersey City and Harrisburg
in cooperation with the Reading.
Freight pool service was begun with the Erie Lackawanna RR between Jersey
City and Scranton via the CNJ Main Line and High Bridge Branch. That ended
with the 1976 Conrail takeover.
The first air conditioned commuter coaches for the general public were
purchased by NJDOT and placed in service on the CNJ and other NJ RR's. They
were built in the 1940's and 50's and were obtained second hand. A number of
these cars have been preserved and are in the
Winter Steam Excursions from Elizabeth to Bethlehem and return using Reading
locomotive #2102 by Steam Tours, Inc.
Steam Tours, Inc. and the Railroad Enthusiasts operate "The Royal Blue"
excursion from Elizabeth via the CNJ-Reading-B&O route to Washington, DC and
return the following day using Reading #2102.
The Railroad Enthusiasts sponsored a trip from Elizabeth to the High Bridge
and Wharton & Northern Branches.
Passenger service from Hampton to Phillipsburg was restored.
CNJ operated "The Mermaid" service from Raritan to the Jersey Shore via
Mainline Steam Foundation sponsored a "Blue Comet Nostalgia Special" from
Raritan to Bay Head Jct. and return using steamers FEC #148 and CPR #972
Extension of PATH from Newark via Elizabeth over CNJ to Plainfield was
Conrail took over operation of the Jersey Central and five other bankrupt
railroads. B&O freight train operation over CNJ ended.
PATH extension to Plainfield was defeated
Liberty State Park opened with the former CNJ Terminal the focal point.
The "Bayonne Scoot", passenger service from Bayonne to Cranford ended,
terminating 142 years of passenger service on parts of the line. The Newark
Bay Drawbridge was abandoned and later removed.
Service on the CNJ-Reading route between Newark and Philadelphia was
eliminated by NJ Transit.
Passenger service to West Trenton ended.
Tri-State Railway Historical Society (RHS) operated a fall foliage excursion
from Newark and Roselle Park to Allentown and return using NJDOT E8
NJ Transit took over commuter rail operations from Conrail
Passenger service to Phillipsburg ended.
Tri-State RHS "Farewell to the CNJ" trip from Newark, Cranford, Dunelle, and
Raritan to P'burg & return.
Railroad Passenger Services Corp. sponsored a Hershey Park Special Excursion
from Newark and the Raritan Valley Line to Hershey Park and return.
NJ Transit opened the Meadows Maintenance Center making the former CNJ
E-port shops redundant. Machinery and parts were relocated to the MMC.
Passenger equipment moves between Aldene and E-port Shops for maintenance
cease. Many shop buildings were demolished, but the 1901 locomotive shop and
some other structures survive.
Tri-State RHS hosted the NRHS convention with the following trips using
portions of the CNJ Main : Bound Brook to Selkirk, NY behind triple headed
Morristown & Erie Alco diesels; Bound Brook to Reading via Philadelphia; and
Bound Brook to Reading via Allentown, the latter both using NKP #765.
Waterfront Connection was opened; Raritan Valley trains began operating to
and from Hoboken
NJ Transit released the Newark - Elizabeth Rail Link Options Study. The
planned light rail route incorporated a segment of the former CNJ RoW
between E-port and downtown Elizabeth.
A real estate development project near the site of the CNJ Elizabeth Station
proposed to build on a portion of the main line route.
The Scoping Summary Report for the Newark - Elizabeth Rail Link produced by
the Federal Transit Admin. and NJ Transit identified the Jersey Central Main
Line between E-port and Plainfield as a NERL Future Candidate System
The CNJ Main Line was determined to be eligible for the New Jersey and
National Historic Registers. The revised Elizabeth development project
preserving the CNJ right-of-way and incorporating the restoration of the CNJ
station was approved.